The United Pro Choice Smokers Rights Newsletter
Issue # 15: 05/14/99
Brought to you by:
Please send your news items to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In this issue:
1. Scientific Fact or Fiction? Don't Be Fooled by False Claims
2. Big Lies About Tobacco
3. Peers Delay Ban On Smoking
4. Why Do We Smoke Cigarettes?
5. Breed's Tobacco Activism Guide
6. Presidential Treason 102
7. In Bed with WHO?
8. We Are Everyday People
9. Read This Newsletter On A Web Page
10. 800 # For Local or State Law Information
1. Scientific Fact or Fiction? Don't Be Fooled by False Claims:
By Kyle Roderick. ThirdAge News Service.
2. Big Lies About Tobacco: By Jeff Jacoby,
Globe Columnist, The Boston Globe. "It's a terrifying statistic. Good thing it's not true."
3. Peers Delay Ban On Smoking :
By James Landale, Political Correspondent for The Times Of London. (Sorry, URL became outdated/moved)
4. Why Do We Smoke Cigarettes? By Ernest Dichter.
from The Psychology of Everyday Living.
5. Breed's Tobacco Activism Guide:
An annotated bibliography for tobacco control action. The Anti Smokers Guide, see which of us has them nervous
in the "PRO TOBACCO GROUPS TO REVIEW " section.
6. Presidential Treason 102: By Gretchen Glass.
Creating Conditions for Presidential Treason . . . Connecting the Dots. Also located at:
Politics: A Woman's View.
7. In Bed with WHO? A Fable for the Millenium.
The trolls and the truggs and the elected officials are on the move, and it's only the beginning.
8. We Are Everyday People:
*** Joe Camel is not dead: He lives on, and by making him a martyr,
Joe Camel has been lifted to a status he never could have enjoyed while he was tucked away in obscure ads on the pages
of fashion magazines.
*** Hodapp's Smoking Lounge: IPSO, the Indianapolis Pipe SOciety.
*** Oklahoma (Smoking) Disaster: Forces Oklahoma.
Want your own smoking disaster area website?
*** Commentary on the Pledge of Allegiance: By Red Skelton.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic, for which it stands; one nation, under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
9. Read this newsletter on a web page. Please pass it along to friends. Thanks!
10. For information about your local or state laws, call the Smokers Rights Action Line at 1-800-333-8683.
New York Update:
Tuesday, May 18, 1999. The Legislature’s Human Services Committee will take the law up for consideration
at 10:00 a.m. in the Legislative Chambers (3rd Floor, Gerace Office Building, Mayville).
Wednesday, May 26, 1999 The entire Legislature is scheduled to consider and act upon the law at a meeting
commencing at 6:30 p.m. Please note that this Legislative meeting is to be held in the Carnahan Building on the
Jamestown Community College campus in Jamestown.
Your input and concerns – whether in person or in writing -- are certainly an important part of the legislative process and can
make a difference in the outcome of these proposed restrictions. Both of the above meetings are open to the public.
For your convenience, you may address your concerns directly to the Clerk of the Legislature, Gerace Office Building, 3
North Erie Street, Mayville, NY 14757 (phone 363-4215; facsimile 363-4539).With only a few more days before the votes
are to be counted, continued input is required to move as many of the swing vote sponsors as possible off of the side of
these unnecessary restrictions.
Thank you for your continued help in creating this newsletter!
Click to subscribe to The United Pro Choice Smokers Rights Newsletter